söndag 22 februari 2009

Satya- Truth

Week two, and time for the next yama- truth. Grounded in ahimsa, satya is truthfulness and honesty, in thought, speech and action. As always, the intention is important.
  • Honesty towards yourself: am I living my life according to my inner truth? Am I expressing myself as I am, or am I expressing someone elses expectations, or perhaps something I wish to be rather than what I am? Am I not facing the truth because I am afraid of it? I've noticed that with some people I feel that I can be more myself, i.e. express my truth than with others. It's as if though I am afraid that I will not be accepted if I show who I really am. Do you recognise this? I wish I could always be honest with who I am. I guess this also has to do with ahimsa, loving yourself for who you are.

  • Honesty towards others: is speaking the truth always the right thing to do? According to the sutras you must look at the intention behind speaking the truth, and also see if the truth might hurt someone. I think that one is tricky. Maybe by pointing out the truth to someone, they first feal hurt, but sometimes making someone aware of the truth can actually be helpful in the long run. I have had friends telling me in a quite harsh way to open up my eyes to the truth. At first I was very hurt, but after a while I have was greatful for their honesty, because it helped me get past certain obstacles. But then, their intention was good.


Inga kommentarer: