lördag 31 januari 2009

Morning Practice and Rushing to Work

Yesterday I was told off at work by my boss that I have to be at work 9 o´clock sharp. Since I practice every morning before work, I sometimes come in around 10 past nine. He said that I set a bad example for the others, that I take too much freedom.

On the one hand I can understand his point of view. There are a set of rules to be followed, so that there is a form of discipline, to avoid total chaos. The rules are the same for everyone. I am not the only one that has been told off.

But on the other hand I feel like a prisoner. If my life becomes better by being able to practice in the mornings, I become more focused at work, my health is improved, and having the freedom to be able to be a little late in the mornings to avoid stressing to work, isn´t it worth it? Even for the company I work for?

When I was in India this fall, I could have, as a westerner, gotten irritated on the Indian way of seeing time. Nine o´clock could meen half past nine (not in the shala though...). But I thought it was liberating. If the whole society works that way, then it can work (especially when on holiday!). When I think about it, on the bigger issues of life, my god, what is the difference of coming nine or ten past nine to work? As long as I do my job well?

We have so many rules in Sweden, rules that are often so restricting. Keeps us in place. Hinders us from thinking freely. Also we have this A-type society. The society is made for the early birds. It is considered "better" to come early to work than staying there later in the evenings (although if you do both you are gold, but in the end you get nothing for it except for bad health). When I come to think of it, I think there is this kind of view in the yoga society as well. The earlier you practice, the more "yogic" you are. This is of course not true. I beleive in that you have to try to fit in your practice so that it fits your life.

So, I have to try to get up earlier in the mornings to do my practice, to please my boss;-) I am actually a B-type person, I am tired in the mornings. But I want to do my practice in the morning, because I can see the benefits in it. Discipline, discipline. From discipline comes freedom, right?

Be a good yogi and a good employee!

2 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

I hope you told your boss that your morning practice is actually beneficial to the company.
I think that as long as you do your work and that the clients are happy with what you do, it shouldn't be a problem to be a few minutes late or early. Although I also understand the point of setting a bad example.
At least you only have to get up 15 minutes earlier tomorrow :) I will do the same. See you then!

Anonym sa...

10 minutes..I´ts so little..I can´t believe your boss had to say anything at all about it. Maybe he/she should try a little yoga to ease off a bit ;-)
Take your time Tina and keep up the good spirit!
Ps. I would like to know about the weekend course!!