lördag 9 augusti 2008

Formula of the Djungle Physician


John Scott is one of the best teachers I´ve encountered. I´ve come to realize that the workshops that only have Mysore practice are not so fulfilling. Maybe you get a few nice adjustments and inspiration, but you haven´t learned so much. But John had a four day workshop with lots of theory and practice. Talking a lot about the philosophy, and less about asana technique. He was very good at giving images of theoretical ideas. He gave a picture of how prana (inner wind) is like the ocean. It is stillness, emptyness. The breath is the outer wind, creating waves on the ocean. The waves are the form (asana). So we practiced together in silence, syncronised, just listening to the breath, and it really felt like we were waves on the ocean! Just energy moving.

He gave us some formulas:

FORMULA OF THE DJUNGLE PHYSICIAN
1. SPINE (straighten spine- gives the foundation)
2. RELAX (creates space)
3. BREATH (moves prana)
4. COUNTING (meditiation- stills the mind)

ANOTHER FORMULA
1. Faith in the method
2. Faith in the teacher
3. Faith in the self
4. Copy teacher (this is very asian- something I recognize from my taiji practice, but it requires a good teacher. Westerners are taught to have a sceptical mind, which is good in certain ways, but I think it can sometimes be in the way for learning new ideas. I´ve read somewhere that you should have an open mind, but a sceptical veiw.)

3 kommentarer:

_shambhavi_ sa...

hey.. luks like yoga's a big passion fr u

m frm india, bt i dnt seem 2 get much time fr yoga though... neways, nice blog.

enjoy ur trip 2 mysore.
i hear its a nice place.
though its rainin these days out here.. so dont frgt ur umbrelaa dear.

Tina sa...

Thankyou!
I hope you will find the time to do yoga. I promise- it pays off!
I´ll be sure to bring an umbrella.

Anonym sa...

Oh! Now I do regret I didn´t attend Johns workshop. I think I would like him too. I like the thought of Prana as "inner wind" that´s really beautiful!
I also like the -Another Formula- I believe Ashtanga requires a lot of faith...as well as patience :-)

In the book Shantaram a woman say wise things almost every time she speaks. One of them is -Every living person has lived at least one earlier life in India- Maybee that´t true!
Love /H