lördag 16 augusti 2008

Healthy Snacks



Bill, a teacher at my shala, makes these wonderfull balls made of dried fruit and nuts, which are wonderful to eat as a snack after practice. I´ve experimented a bit, and I now make them now and again to bring as a snack. Many friends are asking for the recipe, so I thought it a good idea to write it here on the blog. I was thinking of naming them "Bills Balls", but hmm, no, I think not! If I remenber right, he calls them "Energy Balls". He told us they are made in India when a woman who is breast feeding needs to produce more milk. So they are quite nutricious.

ENERGY BALLS (ANANDA ROLLS)
Dried figs, dried unsulphured apricots, dried raisins, linseeds, sunflower seeds, almonds and dried coconut

Mix everything in a food processor. I put in about the same amount of everything. All ingredients should be dry. No soaking. Take a teaspoon of the mixture in your hand and press it together and then roll into a ball. If necessary, if it is too dry and it gets hard to roll them, you can add a few drops of cold pressed sesame oil.
Voilá!

There is another recipe I would like to share. When I was in Houtskär, Finland, on a retreat with Lino Miele and Petri Räisänen, they made a very delicious porridge.

FRESH PORRIDGE
1 dl sunflower seeds, 3/4 dl linseeds (freshly crushed), 0,5 dl sesame seeds (freshly crushed), 1/4 dl rosehip powder (nypon), 1 dl dried plums, 1 dl dried apricots
Soak in water overnight.
In the morning, add some more water if needed, add one banana and mix together. Eat as it is together with oat milk, or use as a topping on your regular porridge. It´s quite sweet.



1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

Ananda rolls - Yummie- :-D

The porridge sounds nice too, even for a yogurt girl! I´ll have to try it!