onsdag 17 september 2008

Learning From Injury

Today I had an insight. -It´s not import how many asanas you do, but how you do them. How you do them....hmm
I have known this before, but not really understood. You know, with your whole being. I´ve been reading blogs and other texts about what Guruji says about the practice. This is what I have read:
If the breathing is ok, then the asana is ok.
The first series is enough. The second series is for those who don´t get it in the first series. The third is for thoses who don´t get it in the second.
Just because you can put your legs behind you ears does not mean you are a good yogi.
Here is a nice interview with Sharath: http://ashtangayogashala.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=165&Itemid=1

I have injured my hip this year, and I can´t go as deep in the asanas as I could before. I don´t do as many as I used to either. I have to do less to be able to heal. Even though I know this is good for me, I have felt a twinge of jealousy looking at other yogis doing more advanced postures, and thinking that I have taken a step back in my practice. I have been attached to the image of myself where I was before the injury. Also I am now rethinking the idea of progress.
I am now considering myself lucky to be doing fewer asanas. I can now concentrate on what is really important: breathing, concentration, awareness, bandhas, humilty, ahimsa and so on. Also my practice now is regular and steady. That´s a big step for me! And getting up in the morning! Wow, I´m lucky!

2 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

You´re such a wise woman, it makes me smile reading this post. Very nice to read the interview with Sharath too. He looks so kind, that round face, I like it!
I was at a technique-class last weekend with Tim Feldmann and he said that Guruji always say that if the breathing is not right, pain is coming. And he(Tim) had the same experience as you, he had heard this a lot of times, but only two years ago he really understood what Guruji meant. Yoga is a way of practicing breathing. The asanas are just obstacles in the way of breathing. Or something like that...

Ursula sa...

I agree with almost everything. The number of asanas is really not so important. It needn't to be so acrobatic either.

In my opinion the asanas of the first series are not enough. The back is getting weaker when doing only forward bending. Back bendings are missing. Upward dog and the most difficult urdhva dhanurasana out of the blue are not enough. But this is only my humble opinion.

Whatever we do and if it is not so much, it improves our well-being.

I wish you wonderful practices.

Ursula