lördag 20 september 2008

Yoga and Skincare

As many of my friends know, I make many of my own skincare products. It is an interest that has developed over the years, coming from an endless search on how to get rid of my skin problems. I have tried the "common" way, ie using harsh chemical products, which have side effects, but I have come to realise that the only good and enduring way is to use natural products, reduce stress and have a healthy diet. The reason I am absolutely convinced that diet is a key factor is that when I have fasted, my skin became clear just in a few days (however when I ate again the problems returned). I was also a gluten free vegan for a while, and that was also a miracle for my skin and health! Unfortunately, it was death to my social life...I think maybe diet will be another post, there is so much to say there!

So what does yoga say about skincare? Well, for one thing, ashtanga yoga is detoxing. You clean your organs through breathing and twisting and sweating. Since the skin is the body´s biggest organ of elimination, it´s helpful if your other elimination organs are working as they should.

Also, you should wash before practicing. After practice you don´t shower, but let the sweat be reabsorbed back into the skin. The skin then doesn´t loose the minerals it then would have lost in the sweat. When the skin is clean, the sweat doesn´t smell. However, I always wash my face after practice, to avoid the pores from clogging.

An ayurvedic practice I have adopted is to brusch my skin before showering with silk gloves (garshan massage), and then massaging my skin with oil after the shower, when the skin is still a bit wet (abyanga). The best thing is to massage the oil before the shower. This protects the skin from drying out, and the warm water makes the oil penetrate deeper into the skin. However, the pipes get clogged, so I do it after the shower.

Traditionally, warm, "prepared" sesame oil is used. I prefer to make my own, fantastic, wonderfully smelling oil. Here is the recipe:

Coconut/ Cocoa Oil
On very low heat, melt one tablespoon coconut oil (virgin, cold pressed) and one tablespoon cocoa butter. Poor into a small bottle. Add a tablespoon of jojoba oil. It already smells wonderful, but you can add your favorite essential oil to make it smell ever nicer! I use vanilla oil and Krishna Musk. Before massaging the oil into your skin, put the bottle under running, warm water a few minutes to make i warm. Since both coconut oil and cocoa butter are firm in room temperature, it will in a week or so return to that state, just warm the bottle and it will become liquid again.

On my face, I use Raw Gaias products. It´s the best. They also have skin care info on their page. Check it out: http://www.rawgaia.com/
To make a lighter facial cream, I mix jojoba oil with aloe vera gel.

The best website I have found on natural skincare: http://www.acne-advice.com/

More to come on this subject, I´m sure. If you have any tip, please comment!






Inga kommentarer: