tisdag 14 oktober 2008

Lunch With The Landlord

Last Sunday Annette and I were invited to lunch with our landlord. When we were in their house earlier, we wondered where they eat, since there were no tables. Now I know; they eat on the floor. We also got their only cutlery, since they eat with their hands. The Indians say that eating with your hands makes the food taste better, and improves your digestion.

So, after carefully washing our hands, we sat down on the floor and observed the family to understand HOW to eat with your hands. It's nearly an artform. Imagine to eat rice and a hot, gruely dal with just your fingers! To end the meal we were served rice mixed with curd (yogurt), which is said to absorb the heat in the food, and make your stomach calm. The only thing was that there was ofcourse spices in that too! Pieces of whole, green chilies! The small, really hot kind! You are ofcourse not supposed to eat them. But I didn't see them, so I bit in a piece of chili! Tears were flowing, and I got hick up! "Look up in the ceiling" they shouted. They gave me a tablespoon of sugar to melt on my tongue, and after a while the heat was gone. What an experience! I think eating with my hands is not for me.

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

sounds like you're having a great time in mysore. i'm happy for you :)
by the way, i was holidaying in france last week and watching the news one night there was a cover on yoga in mysore! what a coincidence. i looked for you and thought i might have seen you practice in a lavender coloured top (?) but it could as well just been because i wanted to see you... they didn't show any interview with you though. fun, eh?!